What do volunteers do at MAHFH?
Manhattan Area Habitat for Humanity is a volunteer-driven organization, and we welcome people from all walks of life to join us as we build simple, decent, affordable houses in partnership with God and families in need.
Volunteers are involved in most phases of construction, though the vast majority have no construction experience or building skills. You do not need to be an expert in construction to help out on a work site, as there are many tasks that require only a willingness to learn and work with others. Learn more about what to expect as a construction volunteer.
Habitat volunteers contribute creativity, strategy, and technical skills to ReStore, office, and fundraising projects.
MAHFH depends upon volunteer committees for support with projects like Family Selection, Family Support, Public Relations, Construction Skills Training, and Volunteer Services.
All of these positions are a tremendous help that directly or indirectly result in the construction of decent, affordable homes.
Do you have to commit to a certain amount of time?
Time commitments vary; as a volunteer for Manhattan Area Habitat for Humanity, you can choose to help out just once or as often as you would like.
Do you have a number of volunteers (10 or more people) that would like to volunteer as a group? Download the VOLUNTEER GROUP INFORMATION FORM , complete the form and send to
– ReStore Volunteers: Help with inventory, assisting customers, sorting, and organization/cleaning. If you have retail experience, construction experience, or are interested in a new experience, volunteering at the ReStore is for you!
– Construction Crew Leaders: Manage a team of volunteers on build days, assist with questions from volunteers about construction, and guide and supervise volunteers who have little construction knowledge. Construction Crew Leaders should have experience with construction, building, or remodeling. Knowledge of construction tools and techniques, with the ability to teach, is preferred.
– Home Build Volunteers: Assist with construction tasks needed for the home build. Tools are provided, but please bring your own gloves, water bottle, and sunscreen. Dress for the weather as you may be outside and/or exposed to the elements. All home build volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
– Habitat Repair Team Volunteers: Assist with short-term repair projects for low-income homeowners. Tools are provided, may be exterior or interior repairs. All Repair Team volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
– Special Event Volunteers: Assist with setup, breakdown, and/or tasks during fundraising and other special events. Jobs can range from stuffing envelopes to pouring tea!
Will you join us?
If you’re ready to sign up for an opportunity, please visit our volunteer scheduling page. If you have questions about our volunteer opportunities, or a group of more than five, we encourage you to email us or call our Habitat Office at (785) 537-7545. Each person will need to fill out a Release and Waiver of Liability before he or she volunteers at a build site or ReStore. Volunteers under age 18 must also have a parent or guardian sign a Minor Release and Waiver.